How to take charge of your OA?
Prepare to speak with your doctor
When speaking with you doctor, be sure to share information on what you can and cannot do, how you feel and when or how your symptoms are brought on. Take time to discuss your treatment goals. This will help your doctor in putting a treatment plan together that meets your needs and lets you remain in control.
Tips for preparing for your appointment:
- Describe your OA joint pain in detail: Which areas hurt? When do these hurt?
- Discuss the impact joint pain is having on your ability to exercise.
- Discuss the effects OA has on your lifestyle: Are there specific activities that you avoid? What does this mean for you physically, socially and mentally?
- Share treatments you have already tried and ask your doctor what other options exist to provide pain relief. Understand that there are options besides oral medication and physiotherapy; but, before invasive joint replacement surgery.
- Determine your pain relief goals: Which activities do you wish to continue or partake in again?
- Make a list of any medications you use and note any side effects you have experienced.